Cardone Meatball Soup
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 large eggs
- 2 bunch fresh Italian flat leaf parsley, wash & trimmed (extra for garnish)
- 1/2 cups bread crumbs, homemade or bought
- 1 bunch of Joe’s Premium cardone
- 1 lemon (cardone prep)
- Large pot of homemade chicken stock or 32 oz of chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cardoon Prep: Wash & De-rib the back of cardone with a peeler or knife. Cut each stalk into 3- 4” pieces. Place in a pot of water with a cut lemon. Bring water to boil and cook for 30- 40 mins or until tender.
- Make Meatballs: In a large deep bowl, place the ground meat and break it up a bit mash in the 2 eggs, garlic, and bread crumbs, 1/2 of the fresh chopped parsley, and season with salt and pepper. Make sure ingredients are combined well. Shape small meatballs (teaspoon size) with hands and set side.
- In a large deep nonstick skillet, add some olive oil and place on medium heat. Add the meatballs without crowding and brown them lightly until golden in color and cooked through. Remove and cook all remaining meatballs until mixture is done. Set aside.
- In a large soup stock pot add the stock and fresh parsley and let simmer for 10 minutes. Add the cooked meatballs and cooked cardone.
- Simmer for no more than 15 minutes and serve immediately in garnish with grated Parmesan cheese & fresh chopped parsley.
- Cardone & Meatballs can be prepped/ cooked up to 48 hours in advance.
- Substitutes for ground Turkey are veal or chicken
- Serve with a crusty bread is always encouraged 🙂