Who is ready for a BBQ?! We have the perfect side to pair with grilled Chicken or Trip tip. This Radicchio + Works Orzo Rice Salad is the best EVER! It’s a fresh colorful looking salad that will taste well with any BBQ menu or bring it to your next pot luck.
Radicchio + the Works Orzo Rice Salad
• 1 pound orzo pasta
• ⅔ cup sun-dried tomatoes (a jar/ oil-packed)
• ⅔ cup pitted Kalamata olives
• 1 cup pine nuts
• 1 head of radicchio
• 1½ cups baby arugula
• 1 Red Onion
• 1 cup fresh basil leaves, loosely packed
• 1 cup freshly-grated parmigiana Reggiano cheese
• 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
• Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
1. Cook the pasta al dente in a pot of boiling water with pinch of salt & little olive oil. Drain, transfer to a bowl, and let cool.
2. While the orzo rice is cooking, chop the sun-dried tomatoes (you can either use some of the oil or discard), olives, radicchio, baby arugula, basil, onion. Place in large bowl and set aside.
3. Toast Pine Nuts in a dry skillet over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly, until they start to turn golden brown. Set aside and cool.
4. Once everything is room temperature, combine all ingredients and toss with parmigiana, olive oil, and vinegar.
5. Serve immediately or store in the fridge overnight (all the favors combine).
6. Once ready to serve toss and mangia!
Adapted from Bon Appetite July 1998