Who is ready for a BBQ?! We have the perfect side to pair with grilled Chicken or Trip tip. This Radicchio + Works Orzo Rice Salad is the best EVER! It’s a fresh colorful looking salad that will taste well with any BBQ menu or bring it to your next pot luck.
Radicchio + the Works Orzo Rice Salad
• 1 pound orzo pasta
• ⅔ cup sun-dried tomatoes (a jar/ oil-packed)
• ⅔ cup pitted Kalamata olives
• 1 cup pine nuts
• 1 head of radicchio
• 1½ cups baby arugula
• 1 Red Onion
• 1 cup fresh basil leaves, loosely packed
• 1 cup freshly-grated parmigiana Reggiano cheese
• 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
• Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
1. Cook the pasta al dente in a pot of boiling water with pinch of salt & little olive oil. Drain, transfer to a bowl, and let cool.
2. While the orzo rice is cooking, chop the sun-dried tomatoes (you can either use some of the oil or discard), olives, radicchio, baby arugula, basil, onion. Place in large bowl and set aside.
3. Toast Pine Nuts in a dry skillet over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly, until they start to turn golden brown. Set aside and cool.
4. Once everything is room temperature, combine all ingredients and toss with parmigiana, olive oil, and vinegar.
5. Serve immediately or store in the fridge overnight (all the favors combine).
6. Once ready to serve toss and mangia!
Adapted from Bon Appetite July 1998
My name is Francesca and I’m Joe’s, “The man on the box”, oldest granddaughter. As the oldest granddaughter, I have inherited the task of keeping the traditions of the old country alive in my family & be an advocate for Radicchio. Thank goodness I love to cook and love radicchio! 🙂 Chicory Chicks blog will feature recipes and information about radicchio, other Italian chicories and specialties. Let’s get it started!
This recipe isn’t an old family secret, it’s actually inspired by a customer, Liz Maleski. Liz LOVES radicchio and she buys out the store when she shops. Liz emailed us the recipe and everyone in our office cannot stop raving about it! This recipe incorporates many things that we grow: radicchio, figs, and walnuts.
Here are some Tips:
Chop/ cut the radicchio any way you like. I like to slice it thin so that its almost shredded.
I am feeling very special because I am using hand dried figs from my Nono. I recommend quartering them so that they are not much larger than the walnuts.
You have to try this!
Sweet Chicory Chick Salad
- 2 heads of Radicchio
- 4 ounces goat cheese (crumbled)
- 12 dried mission figs or dates (quartered)
- 1 cup whole Walnuts
- 3/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup of lemon juice
- 2 T Dijon Mustard
- 3 T white sugar
- Wash radicchio heads and chop or shred and place in a large bowl.
- Add goat cheese, dried figs, and walnuts (I used red walnuts)
- In a separate bowl whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, and sugar
- Pour dressing over salad, serve, and mangia!